Hong Kong Visa Policy

Check Hong Kong’s visa policy and find out if your nationality needs a visa for the HKSAR.

Visa policy for Hong Kong

This page details Hong Kong’s visa policy — the various rules and regulations that govern the requirements for each nationality to visit the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

Due to its history and political status (the “one country, two systems” policy), the immigration and visa policy of Hong Kong is separate from that of the rest of the PRC.

Even though the HKSAR is officially part of the People’s Republic of China, there are immigration checkpoints between mainland China and Hong Kong, where passports and visas are checked.

Citizens of mainland China must have an Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau (also known as a Two-way Permit) unless they have right of abode in the HKSAR.

Close to 100 different nationalities require a Hong Kong visa in advance in order to enter the HKSAR. These can be acquired from a Chinese diplomatic mission, such as an embassy, in the traveler’s home country.

Nationals of 2 countries are required to complete Pre-Arrival Registration (PAR) for Hong Kong prior to traveling to the Special Administrative Region.

The PAR form must be completed online, avoiding the need to go to an embassy. Hong Kong PAR applications are typically processed very quickly.

Visitors from over 140 countries and territories may enter the HKSAR visa-free for a limited period of time. The maximum length of stay varies according to the nationality of the traveler.

See below for further information about the requirements for traveling to the HKSAR according to the Hong Kong visa policy.

Tourist Visa Policy for Hong Kong

Travelers from overseas visiting the HKSAR as a tourist may require a Hong Kong tourist visa, depending on their nationality.

There are 2 Pre-Arrival Registration systems for nationals of 2 countries to visit Hong Kong. These PARs permit entry to the HKSAR for the purpose of tourism, as well as for business, transit, or family visits.

The requirements for a Hong Kong PAR depend on the nationality of the traveler. Both types can be obtained by completing a simple online form.

A consular tourist visa for Hong Kong is required for visitors from around 100 different countries. The foreign national must visit their nearest Chinese embassy or consulate in order to apply.

According to Hong Kong visa policy, citizens of over 140 countries are exempt from visa requirements when visiting for the purpose of tourism.

However, the time such visitors can spend in the HKSAR without a Hong Kong visa is limited. For some nationalities, this limit is as short as 7 days, while others can spend up to 180 days. The majority of visa-exempt nationalities can stay for a maximum of 90 days.

Learn more about the requirements for your nationality to enter Hong Kong as a tourist below.

Hong Kong PAR for Indian Nationals

Hong Kong Pre-Arrival Registration (PAR) is a requirement for visitors traveling to the HKSAR with a standard Indian passport.

The HKSAR PAR for Indian citizens grants multiple entries to Hong Kong for the purposes of tourism, business, and visiting family. The PAR is also needed for transit on occasions when the traveler clears immigration.

The traveler may stay in the HKSAR for up to 14 days per visit with the PAR.

Indian nationals traveling to Hong Kong must register their details on the online PAR application form before going to the Special Administrative Region.

This involves submitting some basic personal details, a current email address, and passport information.

The process is quickly completed and the approved PAR notification slip is sent to the email account provided.

A copy should be printed and presented at the border of the HKSAR, along with the valid Indian passport used in the registration.

It is important that the same passport is used because the PAR is electronically linked to that passport. If the passport is lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise rendered invalid before the traveler goes to Hong Kong, they must register again using their new passport.

Indian diplomatic and official passport holders are exempt from the PAR.

Find more information below about eligible nationalities for the Hong Kong PAR.

Hong Kong PAR for Indian Nationals: Country list

Click on the links below to find out more about each country

Hong Kong PAR from Taiwan

A second Pre-Arrival Registration system for the HKSAR is available to nationals of Taiwan (also known as the Republic of China or ROC) who are official residents of their country.

Taiwanese nationals without household registration (for example those who were born outside the country and have never lived there) and dual-citizens who hold another passport are not eligible for the Hong Kong PAR.

The HKSAR PAR for Taiwanese visitors has a validity of 2 months and allows the holder to enter Hong Kong twice during this period.

A Taiwanese citizen may stay in the HKSAR for a maximum of 30 days per entry.

To apply for the PAR, eligible Taiwanese nationals must complete the online Pre-Arrival Registration form for Taiwan.

This simple form requires the applicant to register their personal information, passport details, and an email address. The Pre-arrival Registration Notification Slip is sent to this address, and should be printed by the traveler.

The Taiwanese traveler must present the PAR notification slip along with their ROC passport both when boarding a flight to the HKSAR and when passing through Hong Kong border control.

The same passport must be used for both the Pre-Arrival Registration and for traveling to Hong Kong.

See below more information about who can apply for the PAR for Hong Kong.

Hong Kong PAR from Taiwan: Country list

Click on the links below to find out more about each country

Embassy or Consular Visa Required for Hong Kong

Nearly 100 different nationalities must apply for a Hong Kong visa in advance of traveling to the HKSAR for any reason.

Embassy visas for Hong Kong can be obtained by applying in person at a Chinese embassy. Overseas diplomatic missions of the PRC are responsible for issuing visas for the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, in addition to those for mainland China.

All foreign nationals who wish to relocate to Hong Kong or work or study in the HKSAR must also obtain the relevant visas and permits from a PRC embassy, regardless of nationality.

Travelers who are citizens of visa-exempt countries who wish to stay in Hong Kong for a period of time exceeding the length of time permitted without a visa must also apply for one at an embassy.

See below the list of nationalities that require an embassy visa for Hong Kong for any type and length of visit.

Transit Visa Required for Hong Kong

Nationals of countries who require a consular visa for Hong Kong must have a visa when transiting through the HKSAR.

Overseas travelers from some countries only need a Hong Kong visa for transit if they pass through immigration, for example if their onward flight is some time away and they wish to leave the airport.

However, if such foreign nationals remain in the airport transit area, they do not require a visa.

On the other hand, travelers of certain nationalities require a transit visa for Hong Kong even if they remain airside and do not pass through immigration.

See which nationalities fall into this category below.

Visa Not Required for Hong Kong

International travelers of over 140 nationalities are eligible to enter Hong Kong without a visa and stay in the HKSAR for a certain length of time.

Different nationalities have different limits on the maximum period of time they can spend in the Special Administrative Region.

Citizens of around 35 countries may stay in the HKSAR visa-free for up to 14 days; citizens of around 25 countries can stay for a maximum of 30 days; around 85 nationalities can remain in Hong Kong for up to 90 days.

Visitors from a select few countries and territories may stay for as long as 180 days, while a small number of others have a limit of only 7 days.

Travelers of all of these nationalities only enjoy visa exemption for visits as tourists or for certain business purposes. If such an individual wishes to go to Hong Kong for other purposes, such as to live or work there, or stay for longer than the permitted visa-free time, they must obtain the relevant type of Hong Kong visa.

Check which nationalities can visit the HKSAR without a visa for the purposes of tourism or business in the list below.

Other Visa Information for Hong Kong

Nationals of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) who are not Hong Kong residents require special travel documents in order to visit the Special Administrative Region, despite the fact that it is part of the PRC.

This is due to Hong Kong’s special political status and autonomy to decide its own immigration laws.

Chinese citizens from mainland China may enter the HKSAR and stay there for up to 7 days with an Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau (Two-way Permit).

Residents of the Macao Special Administrative Region are visa-exempt and may use a Macao passport or travel permit to spend up to 7 days in Hong Kong. Alternatively, a Macau Permanent Resident Identity Card or a Visit Permit for Residents of Macao to HKSAR may be used to stay in the HKSAR for up to 180 days.

Chinese nationals living in a third country must instead obtain an HKSAR Entry Permit, which can be obtained from Chinese embassies and consulates. The length of stay allowed with this permit varies between 2 weeks and 30 days.

Visa requirements checker

Select nationality
Hong Kong

Related News

The coronavirus pandemic of 2019-2020 has had an immense impact on the entire world and may have changed the future of traveling forever. Many countries currently have entry restrictions in place and there is a new focus on health screenings and tests for individuals making their way from state to state. Traveling is discouraged by

Read More

The coronavirus pandemic has led to a large number of travel restrictions. Closed borders, canceled flights, and suspended visas have greatly limited global movement. Many people have been stranded in a foreign country, unable to return home. Individuals in this situation may be worried about what happens when their visa expires. Many governments have put

Read More

The last decade has seen the greatest degree of freedom of global movement in history. Since 2006, the average number of countries that a person can visit without applying for a visa in advance has nearly doubled. However, the coronavirus pandemic has led to mass cancellations of passenger flights, temporary visa suspensions, lockdowns, and closed

Read More