The visa policy for Vietnam publishes the authorized activities Americans can carry out in Vietnam. It also details how long they can stay in the country and the number of entries granted. The Vietnamese eVisa is designed for visitors from the US if their travel plans meet the following criteria:
- They only require a single entry into Vietnam
- They only need to stay in the country for up to 30 days
American citizens are eligible to carry out the following activities provided their stay does not exceed the authorized 30 days:
- Tourism, leisure, and cultural visits
- Visiting family and friends
- Investment opportunities
- Temporary labor
- Short term medical therapy
- Transiting through on their way to a third destination
Upon issuance, the electronic visa for Vietnam is valid for entry for 30 days. If Americans have not used their online visa to reach the country within this period, it will no longer be valid and they will have to reapply for a new one.
Nationals from the US interested in visits for over 30 days or other activities should note they will require a traditional visa that fulfills those needs. In their situation, we recommend contacting the Vietnamese Embassy in Washington DC or the Consulate in San Francisco for further details.